FAQ | Print Page | Sign In | Register
Carbon Monoxide (CO) surveillance
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/13/2018 at 12:07:57 AM GMT
Carbon Monoxide (CO) surveillance
Is anyone routinely monitoring their data for CO poisonings? I see it fairly routinely in our data. Occasionally will ask a hospital for more details if I see a cluster, but then I'm never sure what steps to take after that. Are others monitoring? Do you do any follow-up? If so, how is the information used? Who is the information shared with? Of note, CO poisonings are not reportable in our state.

4/13/2018 at 2:02:08 PM GMT
We monitor for CO poisoning and it is reportable in TN, so we'd be a little bit different. We use syndromic to supplement our case finding, since CO poisoning more or less relies on provider reporting and reports from our poison center.

You could use the information to trigger public messaging regarding generators, etc. Injury and occupational health folks might be interested in it as well.

4/16/2018 at 4:38:46 PM GMT
We do monitor for CO events in syndromic, although we've only ever had one detected (back when we were using BioSense 2.0). But there really wasn't any follow up necessary--it was a situation where a zamboni malfunctioned, and a bunch of people at a ice rink had to seek medical care. We were able to see the location and the reason from the free text chief complaint data. However, because there was a delay in our data at the time, it was more of an "oh, I guess this happened" thing for us. Everything was already taken care of two days later, and the facility had addressed the issue. We called the facility, they were like "yes, we know" and that was basically it. It was cool, though, to see that we could see events like that!

We've talked about doing what Caleb suggested, and use it to trigger messaging, if we can get our injury people on board.

4/17/2018 at 2:06:32 PM GMT
Hi all, NJ monitors for CO poisonings and has an alert process in place to let our Environmental program know of the events. The alert level is a constant threshold based on geography vs. statistical analyses. I am not on the front line of what follow up takes place but I know that some preparedness and educational messages (e.g., generator usage) get distributed via communications channels and reminders are posted on social media. I can put you in touch directly with the staff who handle those alerts if you would like to discuss with them further?

Teresa Hamby
Analyst, NJ Department of Health
Steering Committee Member

5/3/2018 at 4:29:04 PM GMT
NH established a small carbon monoxide workgroup starting in 2008 after a major ice storm caused a major power outage and approximately 70 people sought medical attention at local hospitals. Out of this workgroup New Hampshire law now requires the installation of carbon monoxide detectors in rental units and in single- and multi-family units built or substantially renovated after January 1, 2010. We average about 100 CO exposures annually (carbon monoxide is not reportable but monitored daily) using the chief complaint text for emergency department encounters reported through Automated Health Emergency Department Data (AHEDD). AHEDD is searched for clinical language associated with CO exposures. We have had issues at ice rinks so now we have mandated annual inspections from our fire marshal’s office.

Contact Us

INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR
DISEASE SURVEILLANCE

288 Grove St, Box 203
Braintree, MA 02184
(617) 779 - 0880
Email: syndromic@syndromic.org

Subscribe to ISDS News