FAQ | Print Page | Sign In | Register
Forum Friday 9/21/18 - Suicide Surveillance
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/20/2018 at 8:23:08 PM GMT
Forum Friday 9/21/18 - Suicide Surveillance

Hello there! Following the NSSP CoP Call on September 17, 2018, I was just wondering which jurisdictions include suicide surveillance in your ongoing surveillance activities?

If you weren't able to join us on the call, you can view a summary of the call and the meeting recording here.

Emilie Lamb
Director of Informatics
ISDS

Last edited Thursday, November 8, 2018
9/21/2018 at 3:59:23 PM GMT
Hi all.... I'm interested in this topic, too! What are jurisdictions doing around SyS data on suicide? We heard Julia Gunn talk a little about Boston on the call but are other areas using this information at all? If so, how? If not, what is the issue? We in New Jersey have our SyS located in Communicable Disease but the data are now being used for environmental and opioid surveillance as well in other programs. What's going on in your city/county/state/region?

Teresa Hamby
Analyst, NJ Department of Health
Steering Committee Member

9/21/2018 at 5:05:25 PM GMT
We have pretty good data on suicide deaths, but we have less complete information on non-fatal suicide attempts. We are planning to use this data to get a sense of the magnitude of non-fatal suicide attempts, assess trends, and characterize the people that are attempting suicide in hopes of identifying some targeted prevention strategies. We are also hoping to identify warning signs that people may later attempt and/or complete suicide.

9/21/2018 at 5:42:30 PM GMT
Of those of you collecting SyS suicide data are you collaborating with the mental health dept/agency in your jurisdiction? I recognize that PH and MH are often in different agencies within different states but perhaps this is an opportunity for the 2 to work together.

9/21/2018 at 5:43:45 PM GMT
Thanks Natasha...will be interested to see how this project goes, esp the characterization of attempters for targeting prevention strategies.

Teresa Hamby

9/21/2018 at 6:26:46 PM GMT
Suicide ideation and attempt ED data for school age children was included in a school nurses report for Hendricks County Indiana. Marion County also have a mental health query that is available in our ED dashboard. But we are looking into working with those involved with mental health issues just like we do for chronic disease and overdoses. It'll be interesting to see what others are doing on this forum.

9/21/2018 at 6:33:15 PM GMT
Thanks Brittany. Very interesting about including ideation/attempt data for school-age children in the nurses report. It is another way that SyS provides utility to programs outside of infectious/communicable disease.

Teresa Hamby

9/24/2018 at 5:57:05 PM GMT
I love the idea of sharing information about school age children with school nurses! I bet there are other topics they'd be interested in as well. Thanks for sharing!

As to Deborah's question, I have been collaborating with people in our agency that work on injury and violence prevention, emergency preparedness, as well as behavioral health. Until recently, most MH work was done outside our agency. I'm still learning who does behavioral health in our agency. I'm hoping to strengthen relationships with these partners, especially now that we are in the same agency.

12/20/2018 at 8:27:26 PM GMT
Self-harm and Suicide-related Syndrome Definition in SAS code

My team is working on developing a self-harm and suicide-related syndrome definition, written in SAS code, for our surveillance system. I was wondering if any other jurisdictions have been working on converting the ISDS self-harm and suicide-related syndrome definition to SAS code?

Thanks,

Sarah

Contact Us

INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY FOR
DISEASE SURVEILLANCE

288 Grove St, Box 203
Braintree, MA 02184
(617) 779 - 0880
Email: syndromic@syndromic.org

Subscribe to ISDS News