2018 - 2019 Awards Cycle
Scroll down to find the deadlines to submit an abstract and application for the 2018 - 2019 award cycle.
The award announcement has been postponed to the end of November. Please look out for an email the week after Thanksgiving to learn whether or not you've been chosen for the award.
Description and Purpose of Award
The purpose of the 'Award for Outstanding Student or Post-Degree Abstract' is to increase interest and participation in the International Society for Disease Surveillance (ISDS), especially in its Research Committee and Annual Conference, as well as recognize the exemplary work being done by students or recent students in the field of biosurveillance.
Two researchers are selected and awarded:
- An oral presentation slot to present their innovative work in one of the conference tracks:
- Methods and Science in Surveillance
- Communication, Visualization, and Reporting
- One Health and Beyond
- Public/Population Health Surveillance Practice
- Waived registration for the ISDS Conference (January 30 - February 1, 2019; excludes the One Health Symposium on January 29, 2019)
- 2 nights at the Marriott San Diego Mission Valley (January 30 - January 31, 2019)
- Certificate of achievement
- Recognition on 2019 ISDS Conference materials, as well as during the Conference Awards Ceremony
- Opportunity to join the ISDS Board of Directors as an ex officio member
- Invitation to review student applications in the following award cycle (unless reapplying that year)
Up to ten additional student researchers receive:
- Half-off regular student registration to the 2019 ISDS Conference (excludes the One Health Symposium)
In order to be considered for the award, you must be both:
- A) Enrolled full-time in an undergraduate, graduate, or equivalent program or be in a post-graduate training program within two years of school in a surveillance-related field (e.g. epidemiology, informatics, statistics); OR B) have graduated from a post-graduate training program in 2018 in a surveillance-related field
- An ISDS member (Student rate: $30 - if you are not currently a member, you may join here)
1. Register for (or renew) an ISDS Student Membership
2. Submit an abstract by the
September 14, 2018 September 28 extended deadline for the 2019 ISDS Conference in any track.
3. Complete the online application, which will be reviewed by an Award Sub-Committee, by
October 12, 2018 October 29, 2018. We require the following materials:
- Name, address, school, and program
- Proof of current or recent student standing – a scanned copy of your unofficial transcript and student ID (transcript will only be used to confirm eligibility and will NOT be a factored into the award decision)
- Short personal statement, explaining what your plans are for a career in public health surveillance (approx. 500 words)
The application has closed for the 2018-2019 award cycle. Please revisit this page next year to learn of student scholarship opportunities to attend the 2020 ISDS Conference.
Application Review Process
- Abstracts are reviewed and scored by the Conference Scientific Program Committee (SPC). Those accepted for presentation at the Annual ISDS Conference are sent to the Research Committee (RC) for further review. *NOTE:The abstract score will be taken from the average score obtained through the SPC's abstract review process.
- The RC convenes a group to review the accepted applications.
- Each personal statement is sent to a single reviewer and is reviewed for strength, using the attached rubric (pdf).
- Abstracts are reviewed and scored again by the assigned RC reviewers.
- The scores are totaled and directly compared to determine the final awardees.
Elements of Scholarship Assessment
|Meet Eligibility Requirements
|| 0% (Yes/No)
|Abstract Accepted/Average Score of Abstract by SPC
|Reviewer Score of Abstract