Eligibility: All nominated articles related to biosurveillance or of interest to the ISDS Research Committee, published in May 2017 through April 2018. Early publication articles (e.g., online only) are eligible.
1. Impact on field of biosurveillance
- Potential to change the way that surveillance is practiced
- Potential to attract scientists from other disciplines
- Educational value to a broader audience
2. Scientific achievement
- Innovation of methodology or application
- Rigor of methods and quality of scientific writing
The Literature Review Sub-Committee (LRS)
meets weekly to identify recently published articles of interest to the ISDS membership. Each week the LRS classifies some of the articles identified as award potential articles based on the judging criteria mentioned above. The abstracts for this list of award potential articles have been reviewed by the LRS and the top 32 selected for nomination consideration.
During the call for nominations, the Award Sub-Committee (AC)
invites ISDS members, and others, to nominate up to 3 articles by selecting listed articles and/or writing in articles they feel meet the judging criteria. The AC will only consider those articlesin the initial pool
that receive at least one nomination vote, as well as those submitted as write-in nominations.
The AC will review all nominated articles and narrow the list down to 3-6 finalist articles per category: Impact on the field of biosurveillance and Scientific achievement.
The finalists will be distributed to ISDS members for voting.
First and second awards will be presented for both the 'Impact on field of biosurveillance' and 'Scientific achievement' categories. The awards will be offered to the corresponding author, who may defer the award to another co-author of their choice.
- First prize: Invitation to present at the 2019 ISDS Conference; 1 year ISDS Membership; and 2019 ISDS Conference Registration or $50 Amazon Gift Card if unable to attend conference
- Second prize: Invitation to present a featured webinar; 1 year ISDS Membership; and 50% off ISDS Conference Registration or $25 Amazon Gift Card if unable to attend conference.
The award winners will be announced in September 2018.