Awards for Outstanding Research Articles in Biosurveillance
Congratulations to all awardees of the 2019 Awards for Outstanding Research Articles in Biosurveillance!
Read the full press release here
Impact on Field of Biosurveillance Category
Scientific Achievement Category
Nomination Period Opens: July 10, 2018
Nomination Period Closes: July 20, 2018
Reviewer Article Ranking: July 23 - September 13, 2018
Final Voting Period Begins: September 14, 2018
Final Voting Period Ends: October 12, 2018
Awards Announced: October 15, 2018
Awards Presented: TBD, at 2019 ISDS Annual Conference (January 29 - February 1, 2019) in San Diego, CA
Description of Award
The ISDS Research Committee developed the Awards for Outstanding Research Articles in Biosurveillance to recognize disease surveillance scientists and professionals for their contributions to their fields of research.
All nominated articles related to biosurveillance or of interest to the ISDS Research Committee, published in May 2016 through April 2017. Early publication articles (e.g., online only) are eligible.
- Impact on field of biosurveillance
- Potential to change the way that surveillance is practiced
- Potential to attract scientists from other disciplines
- Educational value to a broader audience
- Scientific achievement
- Innovation of methodology or application
- Rigor of methods and quality of scientific writing
The Literature Review Subcommittee (LRS) meets weekly to identify recently published articles of interest to the ISDS membership. Each week the LRS classifies some of the articles identified as award potential article based on the judging criteria mentioned above. The abstracts for this list of award potential articles have been reviewed by the LRS and the top 32 selected for nomination consideration.
During the call for nominations, the Award Committee (AC) invites ISDS members, and others, to nominate up to 3 articles by selecting listed articles and/or writing in articles they feel meet the judging criteria. The AC will ONLY consider those articles in the initial pool that receive at least one nomination vote, as well as those submitted as write-in nominations.
The AC will review all nominated articles and narrow the list down to 3-6 finalist articles per category: Impact on the field of biosurveillance and scientific achievement.
The finalists will be distributed to ISDS members for voting.
First and second awards will be presented for the 'Impact on field of biosurveillance' and 'Scientific achievement' categories. The awards will be offered to the corresponding author, who may defer the award to another co-author of their choice.
- First prize: Invitation to present at the 2019 ISDS Conference; 1 year ISDS Membership; and 2019 ISDS Conference Registration (excludes the One Health Symposium) or $50 Amazon Gift Card if unable to attend conference.
- Second prize: Invitation to present a featured webinar; 1 year ISDS Membership; and 50% ISDS Conference Registration (excludes the One Health Symposium) or $25 Amazon Gift Card if unable to attend conference.